WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Codex

Attention Interested in functions, hooks, classes, or methods? Check out the new WordPress Code Reference!

IRC Meetups/2005/September/September07RawLog

[17:03] <photomatt> time to kick it off?
[17:03] <Podz> yep
[17:04] <Podz> thats me then .... two things : I need volunteers to help maintain the pdfs
[17:04] <Podz> and
[17:04] <photomatt> go for it podz, yo uhave the first topic
[17:04] <Podz> I could do with someone to write me a bit of code
[17:04] <Podz> The WP PDF’s are in a remote directory. I would like a php script I can use from here which will read that directory then list each file along with it’s ‘last modified’ date. Ideally, it would let me list the files in alpha order, or by date modded.
[17:04] <Podz> that will reduce workload and help immensely
[17:05] <relle> in the codex.
[17:05] <Podz> we need those links too, yes
[17:06] <Podz> I'm not really expecting people to yell to say yes about the pdf's, but if the appropriate moment arrived on your blog, or when talking to someone who would like to help ?
[17:06] <relle> Podz: can you explain the idea behind this?
[17:06] <Podz> myself and 4 others could handle it all comfortably, though even splitting it between tw would be nice - there are ~240+ files to take care of
[17:06] <photomatt> I don't understand exactly what you need
[17:07] <Podz> okay..
[17:07] <photomatt> I have a pretty healthy developer audience on photomatt.net, I'd be happy to post a "help wanted" for the PDF stuff
[17:07] <Podz> I pdf'd codex. It changes. I need to stay on top of those changes so that users can d/l the latest knowledge
[17:07] <Podz> thats every page to monitor
[17:07] <Podz> thats one task
[17:08] <photomatt> okay
[17:09] <photomatt> is there another task?
[17:09] <Podz> the other is for some code as detailed above
[17:15] <Podz> that code can be used at the download location
[17:15] <photomatt> okay when I said automation before
[17:15] <skeltoac|mobile> you just need html output of a directory with filenames and dates?
[17:15] <photomatt> what was in my mind was that we have people doing very repititive tasks of copying text and formatting
[17:15] <Podz> hyperlinked
[17:15] <photomatt> things computers are generally good at
[17:15] <photomatt> I see two goals we need to address
[17:15] <Podz> photomatt:: yes we do, but unless the code is very clever, it will break stuff, formatting.
[17:15] <photomatt> one is what happens when someone clicks "print" on a codex page
[17:15] <photomatt> that is something we can address using a print stylesheet
[17:15] <Podz> it's ugly - and assumes they have paper
[17:15] <photomatt> example: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/goingtoprint/
[17:15] <relle> getting a solid print.css is very critical for codex success. yes.
[17:15] <Podz> but yes, we still need that
[17:15] <photomatt> the second
[17:15] <photomatt> is creating downloadable snapshots of the codex content
[17:15] <photomatt> (which would also help our version problem)
[17:15] <Podz> true
[17:15] <photomatt> my thoughts on this recently
[17:15] <photomatt> have been it might be worth thinking about it in release cycles, just like you would for any other product
[17:15] <photomatt> say 4-6 times a year the codex is "packaged" and a "release" is done
[17:15] <Podz> thats a lot of work all at once...
[17:15] <Podz> could you not still do that ?
[17:15] <photomatt> and that release is archived and available forever
[17:15] <tunicwriter> You have time inbetween, some articles won't be changed between releases.
[17:15] <photomatt> sure
[17:15] <relle> I think that is a good idea when the codex is "ready" which is close but not yet.
[17:15] <relle> very close to ready, though. There are still some holes in the documentation that need to be filled, but that's a good idea.
[17:15] <Podz> that would be good for presentation and ref together
[17:15] <Podz> "Ahh... you'll need the Spring'04 manual sonny" :)
[17:15] <photomatt> heh :)
[17:15] <photomatt> so the part of that packaging that involves people copying and pasting a ton of stuff, which is very labor intensive
[17:15] <photomatt> it actually pains me to think of you guys doing that
[17:15] <relle> Not to negate your efforts, podz, but that would streamline the need for extensive volunteer effort.
[17:15] <mdawaffe> Are there any XML+CSS->PS or PDF translators out there>
[17:15] <mdawaffe> ?
[17:15] <Podz> true - it gets the idea going, which was always my goal :)
[17:15] <photomatt> your monumental effort was awesome, but a ton of work for whoever is going to recreate it in the future
[17:15] <photomatt> what we really need is an army of podzs
[17:15] <relle> mdawaffe - yes. There are a variety of programs that will handle this "packaging".
[17:15] <photomatt> but we can create PDFs programitically
[17:15] <Podz> hence my asking... so, what we actually need then is a 1.5.x release
[17:15] <mdawaffe> relle: Ideally a script that just runs serverside when someone hits a button
[17:16] <Podz> so this is up for chatting about on the docs list ? take it there ?
[17:16] <mdawaffe> Podz: might cross post to wiki-tech to see if anyone has brilliant thoughts on automation
[17:16] <relle> I vote that we get some volunteers to create a team to look at how to handle this, software and so on, and get the docs team focused on what holes need to be filled and do a release by - end of the month? some arbitrary date based on what we know.
[17:16] <photomatt> Podz: did your post go htrough to wiki-tech?
[17:16] <Podz> I have done..
[17:17] <photomatt> I think it got held because you weren't a member
[17:17] <Podz> oh, no idea - just got the mod message
[17:17] <mdawaffe> Podz: ah - ok then :)
[17:17] <photomatt> so it hasn't gone to that list yet
[17:17] <photomatt> I think that's the best place first
[17:17] <photomatt> because those are people focused on the wiki and tech (heh)
[17:17] <photomatt> if we don't get anything out of that, we should do a larger call for help
[17:17] <photomatt> Podz: can you join the list and repost?
[17:17] <Podz> sure
[17:18] <relle> I'll start kicking some doc buns to identify and get the holes filled.
[17:19] <photomatt> cool
[17:19] <photomatt> okay, I think that's covered
[17:19] <relle> thanks podz!
[17:19] * Joins: hanni
[17:19] <mdawaffe> Indeed. Podz, as usual, rocks.
[17:19] <Podz> use a wedge :)
[17:19] <photomatt> okay next up, " Status of Nightlies "
[17:20] <mdawaffe> theyz broke.
[17:20] <tunicwriter> brilliantly worded.
[17:20] <photomatt> still?
[17:20] <mdawaffe> yeah - last one from aug 30
[17:20] <mdawaffe> both bb and WP
[17:20] <photomatt> they use a similar script
[17:21] <mdawaffe> http://bbpress.org/download/nightly/
[17:21] <mdawaffe> unless you're putting them somewhere else now
[17:21] <relle> ah, hurricane damage. ;-)
[17:21] <photomatt> good answer!
[17:21] <photomatt> okay let me look at that
[17:21] <photomatt> does anyone actually use those?
[17:22] <mdawaffe> bb folk do for some reason
[17:22] <mdawaffe> we could take them down and make people use svn
[17:22] <photomatt> tar: --exclude: Could not stat: No such file or directory
[17:22] <photomatt> tar: *.svn*: Could not stat: No such file or directory
[17:23] <photomatt> that's the erorr
[17:23] <photomatt> I don't know what that means
[17:23] <skippy> what's the full tar command line ?
[17:24] <photomatt> I think the args are in the wrong order
[17:24] <photomatt> or the new box doesn't like the order
[17:24] <photomatt> hold on
[17:25] <photomatt> /usr/bin/tar --exclude "*.svn*" -czvf wordpress-`date +%Y-%m-%d`.tar.gz wordpress/';
[17:25] * Quits: skeltoac|mobile (Remote closed the connection�)
[17:25] <photomatt> okay it's fixed now
[17:26] <photomatt> moving --exclude to the beginning worked
[17:27] <skippy> great! Meeting adjourned!  ;)
[17:28] <photomatt> heh
[17:28] <photomatt> last item was on the redesign
[17:28] <photomatt> I have a comp I wanted to get some feedback from you guys on
[17:30] <photomatt> ready?
[17:30] * relle holds onto her hat and socks.
[17:30] * tunicwriter holds onto relle's hat and socks
[17:30] <photomatt> http://projects.iammattthomas.com/wordpress/050907/
[17:30] <Firas> hands on your own socks
[17:31] <tunicwriter> Oh, oh, sorry... My bad... and... that's very, uh... white.
[17:31] <Podz> extend is missing :)
[17:31] <skippy> Podz: at the bottom left
[17:31] <photomatt> so a little background
[17:31] <photomatt> on this
[17:31] <photomatt> there are no colors yet
[17:31] <photomatt> this is just for shape and layout
[17:31] <Podz> ahhh
[17:31] <Firas> photomatt: reminds me of ALA for some reaon
[17:31] <Firas> * reason
[17:31] <Firas> but yeah, looks cool
[17:32] <photomatt> I'll take that as a good thing, the new ALA is great :)
[17:32] <relle> Very cool - search is lost though. Needs to be closer to the content.
[17:32] <Podz> The 'Welcome back' bit.... will that be a "You will search first!" for newbies ?
[17:32] <photomatt> hte idea here is to have new user stuff at the top and old users at the bottom
[17:32] <tunicwriter> The search box is kind of out of place.
[17:32] <Podz> I like
[17:32] <photomatt> no welcome back is the paragraph for people who already know what WP is, or already run it
[17:33] <relle> Is the wordpress logo going to be in black or blue?
[17:33] <photomatt> it's tricky because we have two audiences coming to wp.org
[17:33] <photomatt> those who have no idea what it is, and those who use it already and want help or extensions
[17:33] <Podz> 'extensions' ...... plugins :)
[17:33] <relle> This is a good front door.
[17:33] <skippy> "Welcome Back" makes sense now that you've explained that. Without that explanation, it's weird. A different heading would be better.
[17:34] <Firas> is this planned as cookie or login based?
[17:34] <photomatt> what's something good to call "oldies" (as opposed to newbies)
[17:34] <relle> "Welcome Back, WordPress User"
[17:35] <photomatt> right now it's static
[17:35] <relle> Welcome Back, WordPress Member
[17:35] <mdawaffe> the best thing:
[17:35] <mdawaffe> the diagonal thmbnails
[17:34] <relle> WordPress user sounds like an addiction.
[17:35] <tunicwriter> Blogging is an addiction :P
[17:35] <photomatt> relle: it is!
[17:35] <relle> I know, but it just now sounded awful when I wrote it.
[17:35] <stevecooley> hey, I can quit any time I want
[17:35] <relle> If we go for the "community" spirit, then Member might be better in general. - welcome back to the family.
[17:35] <mikelittle> You have "New to Wordpress?" on the left, perhaps "Already using WordPress?" for the oldies
[17:36] <tunicwriter> Member also implies some sort of... actual... membership on the site... Which, not everyone will have.
[17:36] <relle> Is there ANY reason why everyone continues to have the non-elastic layout? Just curious. I hate the wasted real estate.
[17:36] <photomatt> "already seen the light?"
[17:36] <Firas> easier to position
[17:36] <stevecooley> relle ++
[17:36] <relle> "already gotten your fingers jammed in the press" ;-)
[17:37] <photomatt> because I don't want the one paragraph to span the entire screen
[17:37] <photomatt> it's less readable
[17:37] <mdawaffe> photomatt: I like the way flickr handles old users v new folk - essentially what Firas was mentioning with cookies
[17:37] <mikelittle> I also think the oldies stuff below the fold (at 1024x768) might need re-thinking. Some kind of clue above the fold would help.
[17:37] <photomatt> well we do have the login cookies
[17:38] <photomatt> if someone is logged in we could emphasis the "oldie" stuff
[17:38] <mdawaffe> right
[17:38] <photomatt> I would argue that the people who already use wordpress don't need as much hand-holding
[17:38] <relle> I personally think that "oldies" will go right for the menu at the top, so adding EXTEND to the top menu back would help direct them and honestly, serious repeat users barely stay on the front page long enough to just click the link.
[17:39] <relle> That would make the welcome back obsolete. They "know" this is a welcome page and they will skip it and go for the meat.
[17:39] <mikelittle> Oh wait... too many FF toolbars! Welcome back is above the fold on a normal browser!
[17:39] <relle> I think the clean lines and layout is wonderful and reminiscent of newsletters - accentuating the "press" and publishing aspect.
[17:40] <mdawaffe> mikelittle: only the title is at my resolution
[17:40] <relle> mikelittle: depends on your screen size. 800x600, which is still really high, puts it below.
[17:40] <tunicwriter> I got it below with all my toolbars except tabs off in FF running 1024*768
[17:41] <tunicwriter> Or, I lie, it's cut off a bit.
[17:41] <mikelittle> Relle: I don't think 'Extend' will make sense to someone who's installed, blogged for two days and now wants to know what else they can do.
[17:41] <relle> it won't?
[17:41] <photomatt> extend was tough to come to, it's like extensions but shorter
[17:41] <photomatt> ideally we could put both plugins and themes up there
[17:42] <photomatt> but then it's getting a little crowded
[17:42] <photomatt> and I prefer for navigation to be shorter
[17:42] <mikelittle> "Extending WordPress" would work, but isn't snappy.
[17:42] <relle> People are getting more and more familiar with extensions and add ons, so "extend" is a natural progression.
[17:43] <relle> And if people want to add on more stuff and figure what else they can do, they are going to look in the manual to find out what they can do.
[17:43] <photomatt> we'll see how it works out
[17:43] <relle> photomatt: now, how will this effect the look of the forums and codex?
[17:43] <Firas> what are we discussing again?
[17:43] <photomatt> I think the key is it's linked to from the plugins and themes pages inside of WP
[17:43] <photomatt> Firas: new design
[17:43] <relle> http://projects.iammattthomas.com/wordpress/050907/
[17:44] <photomatt> relle: they will be black background with 10px white text, and lots of animated gifs
[17:44] <relle> oh, goody.
[17:44] <photomatt> actually
[17:44] <skippy> sweet. hamsterwordpressdance.com
[17:44] <relle> Just wanted to be sure we were getting the good stuff.
[17:44] <photomatt> the nice thing about this design is it can stretch out
[17:44] <photomatt> so codex can remain a bit wider
[17:44] <relle> excellent.
[17:44] <mdawaffe> photomatt: what's the "Working with WordPress" link?
[17:45] <photomatt> the forums will be restyled to look like this, probably more whitespace
[17:45] * relle does a little dance to say good bye to grey!
[17:45] <photomatt> mdawaffe: all the content is placeholder, i don't know what that link is for
[17:45] <mdawaffe> ok - I was just looking to see if all the links were duped between welcome and welcome back
[17:46] <mdawaffe> so that you could show only the appropriate one
[17:47] <relle> Ah, one little detail. Personally, I don't like the period in the title. It reads "full stop" to me and isn't very inviting to read on. I'd kill that, but this is a minor detail. Very slick look.
[17:47] <relle> So the question is.........
[17:47] <relle> whenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhen
[17:47] <Podz> it's ready :)
[17:47] <relle> ?
[17:47] <photomatt> okay now that you've soaked that in
[17:47] <hanni> yeah, I agree on the fullstop
[17:47] <photomatt> here is a slightly different take on it
[17:47] <photomatt> http://photomatt.net/temp/wordpress-v2.png
[17:47] <photomatt> I'm curious what you like about each, or dislike
[17:48] <hanni> i like the continuation of the nav lines on the second, nice touch
[17:48] <hanni> would this be also flexible to allow for the wider codex?
[17:49] <photomatt> possibly
[17:49] <photomatt> anything is possible :)
[17:49] <skippy> the left sidebar in v2 looks ugly.
[17:49] <photomatt> right now it's more working out the aesthitics, the implementation will fit whatever we need
[17:50] <relle> I like having the logo moved over on to the left margin - out of the center.
[17:50] <mikelittle> The logo position works MUCH better on the second version. I was just beginning to think the first was unbalanced
[17:50] <photomatt> skippy: could you be more specific about the sidebar?
[17:50] <skippy> photomatt: the big white block running down the length of the left side
[17:50] <tunicwriter> The added background is nice.
[17:51] <relle> ah, that's graphic gook.
[17:51] <mdawaffe> I think the grey lines in v2 are brilliant. They remind me of... whatever the hell those layout markers are called in the publishing world
[17:51] <skippy> mdawaffe: registration marks
[17:51] <mdawaffe> which is a clever touch for a site about blogging software
[17:51] <mdawaffe> skippy: FACT
[17:51] <photomatt> mabye I don't see the big white block?
[17:52] <skippy> photomatt: lemme take a screenshot.
[17:52] <photomatt> sure
[17:52] <relle> yeah, but they don't "look" like registration marks.
[17:52] <relle> Those have circles and lines. - depending upon the printing technique.
[17:52] <mdawaffe> relle: "remind me"
[17:52] <mdawaffe> :)
[17:52] <relle> I think it adds to the clutter.
[17:52] <Firas> i think it's nice
[17:53] * Podz wants to see the forum screencaps....
[17:53] <relle> I keep thinking it's broken.
[17:53] <mikelittle> I thought they were just an artifact of the mockup. Not part of the real thing.
[17:53] <skippy> photomatt: http://www.skippy.net/secret/wp2.png
[17:53] <relle> me, too
[17:53] <photomatt> the lines are part of the real thing in v2
[17:53] <mdawaffe> skippy: do you mean the whitespace between the grey line and the content of the sidebar?
[17:53] <photomatt> oh
[17:53] <photomatt> skippy: the graphic is larger than your screen
[17:53] <mdawaffe> ah - it's just not centered
[17:53] <photomatt> pretend the content is centered
[17:54] <relle> those aren't supposed to be there, are they?
[17:54] * skippy smacks forehead.
[17:54] <photomatt> heh
[17:54] <photomatt> relle: what aren't?
[17:54] <photomatt> the grey lines on the side? they are in v2
[17:54] <skippy> i don't like the grey. it makes it look like something's missing.
[17:54] <relle> the greyed out stuff on the edges of v2
[17:54] <skippy> grey lines, that is
[17:54] <photomatt> so what I'm getting as a consensus is
[17:54] <relle> I agree it looks like something is missing.
[17:54] <photomatt> like the logo moved, don't like the grey lines
[17:55] <skippy> it also reminds me of visual artifacts I see on aging monitors (ghosting from burn in)
[17:55] * relle shutters with the memories. ;-)
[17:55] <relle> photomatt: sounds like it.
[17:55] <mdawaffe> well I like both
[17:55] <mdawaffe> but I am but one man
[17:55] <Firas> those line's are like the wp roscarch test
[17:55] <tunicwriter> I ditto mdawaffe
[17:55] <relle> I don't mind having the edges defined, but the greyed out stuff is odd.
[17:55] <Firas> 'do you see registration marks? monitor burn in?'
[17:55] <relle> If it had more substance...?
[17:56] <skippy> overall it looks swanky.
[17:56] <photomatt> :)
[17:56] <mdawaffe> I'll certainly ditto skippy on that one
[17:56] <relle> totally swanky.
[17:56] <tunicwriter> I'll ditto mdawaffe's ditto.
[17:56] <mdawaffe> tunicwriter: I guess that'd be a tritto...
[17:56] <Firas> i'd like to bring up a quick forum item when we're done, if it's not too late
[17:56] <photomatt> alright, well I will keep everyone updated at the meetups here
[17:56] <mikelittle> Yep, looks great. You mentioned colour earlier, but I don't see it needs any. It looks nice and clean, professional, polished.
[17:57] <relle> firas?
[17:57] <photomatt> mikelittle: there will probably be a bit more color, particularly in the logo/header
[17:57] <skippy> search might be better placed right-aligned under the menu bar? So it's not floating up there all on it's own?
[17:57] <mdawaffe> as long as it ends up hot pink and avocado, i'm down
[17:57] <Firas> would it be hard to restrict the forum search to just codex.wp and inurl:support via checkboxes?
[17:58] <photomatt> what if in the upper right there were a login/logout area?
[17:58] <photomatt> like yahoo
[17:58] <relle> sounds fine.
[17:58] <photomatt> Firas: search could really stand for some tweaking
[17:58] <relle> can it be done?
[17:58] <photomatt> however the good news is they bumped our query limit
[17:58] <photomatt> we hit it yesterday and search stopped working
[17:58] <Firas> photomatt: yeah, but--didn't want to interrupt, let's fiinish with the redesign talk-but it has to be done asap
[17:59] <Firas> too many trac hits on the forum search
[17:59] <relle> ouch
[17:59] <photomatt> I think the redesign is finished up for now
[17:59] <photomatt> wrt the search
[17:59] <mdawaffe> (one more redesign point: the screencaps should be from firefox, not safari)
[17:59] <relle> and codex user pages need to be out of the search, too.
[17:59] <photomatt> I think it's been good in that people are using it more, and I'm seeing more very old threads pop up when people have the same problem
[17:59] <photomatt> however it can be pretty annoying too
[18:00] <photomatt> let's make a list
[18:00] <photomatt> what should we exclude?
[18:00] <mdawaffe> all codex user space
[18:00] <Firas> anything with trac or non-support domains in the url. anything older than january 05.
[18:00] <Podz> items prior to the date of 1.5 being released - whenever that was ?
[18:01] <relle> trac?
[18:01] <relle> codex user pages - definitely.
[18:01] <mdawaffe> Podz: there's still some juicy bits from way back when - referers, weather, geo...
[18:01] <photomatt> could I have a sample search with bad results?
[18:01] <relle> I'm trying one now.
[18:02] <Podz> mdawaffe:: true .....
[18:02] <mdawaffe> Podz: but maybe that just means the codex results for those thing should come up higher
[18:02] <Firas> http://search.wordpress.org/new+post+doesn%5C%27t+show+up
[18:02] <relle> ummm, I can't get search on the forum to work.
[18:02] <relle> Anyone?
[18:02] <relle> Ah, there it is.
[18:02] <relle> even simpler http://search.wordpress.org/email
[18:02] <relle> First one is the old wiki
[18:02] <relle> That has to go.
[18:03] <relle> excuse me, - first 4 or more.
[18:03] <relle> wiki.wordpress.org needs to be out of the search list.
[18:03] <skippy> is there value in including /tags/ in search results?
[18:03] <skippy> http://wordpress.org/tags/email/page/3 <-- probably isn't a useful search result
[18:04] <Firas> how about: anything with : wordpress.org/support/topic/ in the url, only
[18:04] <relle> The first five or so results here are also odd: http://search.wordpress.org/photoblog
[18:04] <relle> Firas - that would kill codex.
[18:05] * Parts: skippy ("Free as in Puppies!"�)
[18:05] <relle> I agree that we need to kill the things we've listed, but also allow the user to restrict the search to codex or forum. If they know enough about trac, they can search there, right?
[18:06] <Firas> [ Query here ]
[18:06] <Firas> [x] Forums [ ] Docs
[18:06] <mdawaffe> if they know about trac, they should just search trac - it's a very different resource
[18:07] <mdawaffe> it doesn't answer questions
[18:07] <Podz> search / advanced - otherwise newbies will click all over
[18:07] <relle> I was told it "needed" to be in there because it often answered questions related to version issues or bugs. But I don't see the normal user searching for bug issues and then ending up on Trac and getting totally confused.
[18:07] <Firas> well, let's first figure out whether including trac and whatnot is a decision or just a technical oversight
[18:08] <photomatt> it just includes all of *.wordpress.org
[18:08] <photomatt> actually before we get any further
[18:08] <Firas> relle: yeah, plus the average user posting a message on a trac bug is usually just being noise--it's harmful both ways.
[18:08] <photomatt> I don't have any time to work on search this week, could we set this as a topic for next week
[18:08] <photomatt> ?
[18:09] <Firas> guess we must :)
[18:09] <relle> can we get mdawaffe to look into it?
[18:09] <mdawaffe> no
[18:09] <mdawaffe> :)
[18:09] <photomatt> cause he actually gets things done? ;)
[18:09] <mdawaffe> I'd rather actually get bb search working first...
[18:10] <hanni> May I quickly interrupt with a comment about the nightlies?
[18:10] <photomatt> yeah yeah
[18:10] <relle> we'll all suffer not quietly.
[18:10] <photomatt> hanni: sure
[18:10] <relle> ;-)
[18:10] <hanni> you just fixed the script right?
[18:10] <hanni> well in today's there's all the normal stuff then a trunk folder with it all again
[18:10] <hanni> if that makes sense
[18:11] <hanni> My apologies if that's intended
[18:11] <photomatt> that's probably because last time it ran it errored out
[18:11] <photomatt> next time it runs it should fix that
[18:11] <hanni> okay, just thought I'd mention it in case it was a problem!
[18:12] <mdawaffe> If search is tabled, can I bring up something quick?
[18:13] <mdawaffe> Well - I will anyway
[18:13] <mdawaffe> http://webloog.com/
[18:13] <mdawaffe> Do "we" know this folk?
[18:13] <mdawaffe> I ask only because they've copy/pasted wp.org
[18:14] <mdawaffe> I'm all for new services, and I know they're new, but it seemed... odd
[18:14] <Podz> it does....
[18:15] <mikelittle> http://zed1.com/journalized/archives/2005/09/07/another-wordpress-mu-site/
[18:15] <mikelittle> The same people as free.tv which seems rather suspicious
[18:15] <mdawaffe> ahha! - I've been scooped :)
[18:16] <mikelittle> ;-)
[18:16] <mdawaffe> they also miscase WordPress: wordpress, Wordpress, wordpReSs... (well, maybe not that last one)
[18:17] <relle> I know everything else is open source free for all, but is "WordPress" trademarked or have any protections?
[18:19] <Firas> funny, it says domain donated by open domain at the bottom
[18:19] <mikelittle> I've got a response to say, it's not the same people running the two sites.
[18:19] <Firas> murkier and murkier
[18:20] <photomatt> that's really annoying
[18:20] <photomatt> I'll leave a comment on their first "post"
[18:20] <photomatt> the thing is
[18:21] <photomatt> now that MU is a lot better, I think these will be cropping up a lot
[18:21] <relle> bunches and bunches.
[18:21] <mdawaffe> well - that's fine - as long as they don't gank content, lie, or take credit for what isn't theirs
[18:21] <relle> Podz - didn't you spot one that was selling?
[18:21] <Podz> that was mark on wlt
[18:22] <relle> ah.
[18:22] <Podz> 99euros
[18:22] <mdawaffe> sweet merciful crap
[18:22] <relle> photomatt: what about the "wordpress" trademark or register? Is it protected at all?
[18:22] <Podz> prior use ?
[18:23] <Podz> post from TG on the Docs list - needs a pw
[18:23] <photomatt> hmm their site is broken, I can't leave a comment
[18:24] <mdawaffe> maybe it just strposes for "photomatt"
[18:24] <Firas> lol
[18:25] * hanni grins
[18:25] <photomatt> that open domain guy is such a wacko
[18:26] <mdawaffe> hehe
[18:26] <tunicwriter> photomatt: yeah, what's up with trademarking and "Wordpress" ?
[18:29] <photomatt> btw, the meeting is officially over
[18:29] <photomatt> </meetup>

Back to IRC Meetups