This article is a ROUGH DRAFT
. The author is still working on this document, so please do not edit this without the author's permission
. The content within this article may not yet be verified or valid. This information is subject to change.
This page drafts ideas and copy to update and improve http://wordpress.org/about/features/ as discussed in the IRC developers meeting of 8 October 2009. (No log availabe for that meeting.)
To discuss, go here: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/10941
- How many words?
- How long? One screen? Or scrolling as well?
- How many columns? 1 or 2?
- Fully visible? Or toggling as well?
- How far from front page?
- Images? What OS from?
- Linking to other (existing internal) pages for further info?
Features / Level 1
This is where it starts. An idea would be to highlight 5 or 6 prominent characteristics. Then, under those 5 or 6 characteristics, to group locically other things worth mentioning.
Easy to use
Creating pages and posts and publishing them on your website with WordPress is easier than creating a document in your word processor.
Extensible and flexible
What can I create with WordPress?
- A personal weblog — like meyerweb.com
- A personal or family website
- A photoblog
- A business website
- A marketing site for your products or services
- A professional portfolio
- A government website — like number10.gov.uk or cultura.gov.br
- A magazine or news site — like magazine.wsj.com
- A church or organization website
- A school or university website
- A radio-show website — like astateoftrance.com
- An online community
That’s a tricky one. However, progress is being made. General standards-compliance could also be mentioned here, and maybe also the accruing SEO benefits.
Modern and up to date
Always modern and up to date with the latest web technologies thanks to an enthusiastic developer community.
How many languages is it translated to?
Free and open-source
Helpful and resourceful community
Rich ecosystem of commercial services
Features / Level 2
A rich, comprehensive API that allows professional developers to hook into any part of the application in order to modify or add functionality, while, at the same time, is so easy that even non-programmers use it to customize and add simple features.
In the initial scheme I’m working with, this would not be a Level 1 feature. It should be under “Easy to use” or under “Flexible”. However, the current work on oEmbed and on the Media Library could warrant some bragging and maybe pushing up Multimedia to Level 1, in spite of the logical hierarchy.
What do I need
- A domain name like example.com
- A web-hosting provider to host your site
- A web browser to add and manage your content
- Something to say or show to the world
Links for ideas and information
A few links for ideas and inspiration and stealing
WordPress and family