(Add your language)
On July 23, 2015, WordPress 4.2.3 was released to the public. This is a security update for all previous WordPress versions.
To download WordPress 4.2.3, update automatically from the Dashboard > Updates menu in your site's admin area or visit https://wordpress.org/download/release-archive/.
For step-by-step instructions on installing and updating WordPress:
If you are new to WordPress, we recommend that you begin with the following:
From the announcement post, WordPress 4.2.3 fixes a cross-site scripting vulnerability, which could allow users with the Contributor or Author role to compromise a site (CVE-2015-5623).
The release also fixes an issue where it was possible for a user with Subscriber permissions to create a draft through Quick Draft.
In addition to the security fixes, WordPress 4.2.3 contains fixes for 21 bugs from 4.2.2, including:
- FIX - Upgrades: If a table has already been converted to utf8mb4, there's no need to try and convert it again. #32310
- FIX - Remove a redundant index drop. #31388
- FIX - Don't upgrade global tables to utf8mb4 when DO_NOT_UPGRADE_GLOBAL_TABLES is defined. #32154
- FIX - Enable utf8mb4 for MySQL extension users. #32127
- FIX - Plugin update rely upon wp_update_plugins() to check the contents of the transient and return early if no request needs to be made. #32198
- FIX - WPDB: When extracting the table name from a query, there is a 1000 character limit on the SQL string that would be searched. #32763
- FIX - WPDB: When checking that text isn't too long to insert into a column, LONGTEXT columns could fail, as their length is longer than PHP_INT_MAX. #32165
- FIX - Plugin update handles the case where the plugin is installed into a different directory than it previously existed in. #32465
- FIX - Plugin update feature doesn't recognize errors #32473
- FIX - Plugin update error messages lack detail #32435
- FIX - Multiple plugin updates: Even if one of plugins update fails, allow further updates to continue. #32110
- FIX - In comment_form(), ensure that filtered arguments contain all required default values. #32312
- FIX - WPDB: Remove some of the complexities in ::strip_invalid_text() associated with switching character sets between queries. #32165
- FIX - WPDB: ::strip_text_from_query() doesn't pass a length to ::strip_invalid_text(), which was causing queries to fail when they contained characters that needed to be sanity checked by MySQL. #32279
- FIX - Emoji script is producing errors on pages with SVG content #32305
- FIX - Unable to drag widgets down page past certain length. #32094
- FIX - TinyMCE: wpView: fix typo in createInstance that prevented instances from being reused. #32591
- FIX - SCRIPT_DEBUG check in print_emoji_detection_script() generated PHP Notices. #32118
- FIX - If the shortcode content contains HTML code, the TinyMCE View no longer works. #32078
- FIX - Better handling when the credential form is long (such as when SSH is active). #32435
- FIX - sanitize_option didn't handle a WP_Error Object. #32350
List of Files Revised