(Add your language)
The Video feature allows you to embed video files and play them back using a simple Shortcode. This was added as of WordPress 3.6 and is used like this:
You can also use built in embeds and simply put the media file on its own line:
My cool content
More cool content
I have an old post that has a video file in the Media Library attached to it, and I want to use the new shortcode:
I have the URL for an mp4, from the Media Library or external, that I want to play:
I have a source URL and fallbacks for other HTML5-supported filetypes:
[video mp4="source.mp4" ogv="source.ogv" webm="source.webm"]
The following basic options are supported:
- (string) (optional) The source of your video file. If not included it will auto-populate with the first video file attached to the post. You can use the following options to define specific filetypes, allowing for graceful fallbacks:
- 'mp4', 'm4v', 'webm', 'ogv', 'wmv', 'flv'
- Default: First video file attached to the post
- (string) (optional) Defines image to show as placeholder before the media plays.
- Default: None
- (string) (optional) Allows for the looping of media. Defaults to "off".
- "off" - ("default") does not loop the media
- "on" - media will loop to beginning when finished and automatically continue playing
- Default: "off"
- (string) (optional) Causes the media to automatically play as soon as the media file is ready. Defaults to "off".
- "off" - ("default") does not automatically play the media
- "on" - Media will play as soon as the media is ready
- Default: "off"
- (string) (optional) Specifies if and how the video should be loaded when the page loads. Defaults to "metadata".
- "metadata" - ("default") only metadata should be loaded when the page loads
- "none" - the video should not be loaded when the page loads
- "auto" - the video should be loaded entirely when the page loads
- Default: "metadata"
- (integer) (required) Defines height of the media. Value is automatically detected on file upload.
- Default: [Media file height]
- (integer) (required) Defines width of the media. Value is automatically detected on file upload. Note that the theme's content_width sets the maximum width.
- Default: [Media file width]
These options are also available in the video editor; once you've inserted a video in one of your posts, click on the video and then on the pencil icon to access and edit all the video details:
- Video source file
- Video alternate sources (mp4, ogv, webm)
- Poster Image
- Preload options
- Tracks (subtitles, captions, descriptions, chapters, or metadata)
The video shortcode is located in