Attention Interested in functions, hooks, classes, or methods? Check out the new WordPress Code Reference!

User talk:MDAWaffe/WordPress Terminology

On Case

Do we want to highlight WordPress terminology by capitalizing all terms? "Click the 'Options' Tab" v. "Click the 'Options' tab". In particular, "SubMenu" and the like would always have to be capitalized. This might be annoying. --MDAWaffe - Talk 09:21, 9 Mar 2005 (UTC)

I vote for caps unless used like this:
When designing a page on your website,
you can use Pages to set individual pages to be.....
Confusing, but it helps to set things apart. In the early years, Internet was always capped and Web was always capped, but now no one caps web and internet is growing more common.
Personal druthers - Administration Console. A section is a division thereof not the whole thing. I prefer Panel over Page cuz we got enough of those running around to confuse everyone. And you say "Users never use functions" but functions are part of the Loop, right? The is_home() stuff, right? Or something else? Like queries? Guess I might not know the difference, but we have to be clear on which is which for what purpose.
Excellent list!!! Lorelle 19:37, 9 Mar 2005 (UTC)
"Users never use functions" is just one possible definition for "function" from a user's standpoint. It's a definition I don't agree with; I put it in as an example and to let others vote for it if they thought it appropriate. --MDAWaffe - Talk 19:50, 9 Mar 2005 (UTC)

Okay, here is my take after 10 seconds of indepth thought (hee hee).

Admin Interface

Header - Name of Site - View Site
Menu - Dashboard, Write, Manage...
Panel - the Dashboard, the Write, the Manage screens
Tab - Under Manage > Post, Pages, Categories....
Section - Under Write > Write Post > Excerpt
Text Entry Box (or Entry Box) - > Excerpt > Text box where the excerpt is written
Apply or Execute Buttons - Save, Update, what you click to finalize your changes.

Whew! Lorelle 21:15, 9 Mar 2005 (UTC)

More Bits

I don't know really what to call it, but we need words for the sections on a Panel like the Write Post title window thingy where you write the title of the post. I call it the Write Post panel Title window in the forums or the Write Post panel in the window below Title section....see where I'm going. We need to name those thingies. Lorelle 19:49, 9 Mar 2005 (UTC)

Do you mean the thing outlined with the thin grey line, or the textbox within that outline? The outlined area... I guess I'd call it a 'section', i.e. the 'title section of the write post subpanel'. The text box I would call a 'textbox', i.e. the 'title textbox' (I suppose 'the textbox in the title section' would be the most formalistically rigorous - but that gets really annoying really fast). --MDAWaffe - Talk 20:24, 9 Mar 2005 (UTC)
"The textbox in the Title section" would be good. I like "Title Section of the Panel" and then...textbox? Window? Box window? Box for text? Text entry box? piddle paddle puddle. How about "Entry box under the Title Section of the Write Post panel." We have to clarify that this is where you enter the text. So Text Entry box or even...please no...data entry box. I'll piddle my paddle up a crick now. Lorelle 21:06, 9 Mar 2005 (UTC)
These "thingies" are standard HTML form elements, so calling "the textbox in the Title section" the title textbox or input or field avoids the pitfalls of creating our own terminology for quite common features. And not that I see it here, but let's do what we can to avoid explanation overload, as in: "To add a title to your post, enter it in the title text input box of the Title section of the Write Post subpanel of the Write menu in your WordPress administration pages." Now that's helpful!
-Kaf 01:17, 10 Mar 2005 (UTC)